197 vs ST - my full opinion!

Mike

Gestapo
Platinum Member
Some pics to start off with.

st5-2.jpg

st4-2.jpg
Stripes? I think the over top ones would go if I ever got one!

_MG_1638.jpg

_MG_1619.jpg
Far better than the Clio centre console! More gadgets too :wink:

_MG_1617.jpg
Nicely done dashboard

_MG_1615.jpg
Comfy seats

_MG_1610.jpg
Climate control

_MG_1608.jpg
Fords only: Heated Windscreen

Well, how could I turn down the opportunity that arose to me recently. That magic “two and a half year” point of owning the 197 was on the horizon, and the chance to have a Fiesta ST for a while was presented to me. I thought that taking the opportunity would give me a chance to re-kindle the love for the 197. As you’ll find out, it was almost quite the opposite...

I have a bit of a bad habit. Every car I have owned has been for 2 1/2 years roughly. I get bored of them at the two year point, then they are usually sold by the 2 and a half year point. 2 years and 2 months earlier, I got the 197, and I have enjoyed every minute of it. The Fiesta ST was in the equations for what car to buy, but not a front runner because then handling of it was nearly as good as the Clio. Another thing I like about cars is how many there are about. I can safely say I see far more Fiesta ST’s than Clio 197/200’s on the road.

So the change over took place at a fuel station, and off I went back home. The first thing I noticed was the low down power in the ST is better than the 197, the noise within the car (road noise) is louder than the Clio, and at lower speeds, the standard ST exhaust has more of a growl than the 197. The seats in the ST don’t “hug” you as much as the 197, and are very slightly less comfortable, but they are still brilliant for a journey - and for longer ones, they are better than the “Recaro” seat options in the 197/200.

The ST I had is equipped with all the mod cons such as climate control, electric folding mirrors, MP3 connectivity, CD multi changer, and it actually has an amazing sound system in it. One criticism that I have, and the ST’s owner has of the stereo in the 197 is that it is crap! The air con in the Clio is rubbish, and no MP3 etc.

Driving the ST was a total pleasure, plenty of power all through the rev ranges. No it isn’t as fast as the 197, but it isn’t that much slower either. Apparently, it is quite easy to lose the back end of the ST, but I never had that problem, partly because the owner has spent money putting good tyres on the car.

The owner of the car has not had any problems with the car at all, a far cry from myself and the 197 - all tacky problems associated with French cars. The ST is now on 63k miles, and it feels like it has 1k miles on it. No rattles, noises anything like that. The seats look new too, the Clio’s look worn out!

I have to give the car back after a month, I want it for longer, and indeed Matt was ok for me to have it for longer, but I can tell that he doesn’t like the Clio as much as I like his ST, and it isn’t fair that I hang on to his car just because I like it that much. I would like to have done a long journey in the car, and I am due to travel up north in November, but I will be Stripes-less by then. I know for certain it would have been a great journey in the ST, and would have been a lot cheaper on fuel as well. Another good point for the ST - it’s 7-8p per mile cheaper to run on fuel too.

What about the other costs associated with running a car? Well, the main two things to take into account aside from fuel, are tax and insurance.

The car is a group 13E on the old insurance scale, and the clio is a group 15. This results in a difference of about £20-£30 a year cheaper for myself on the ST. Road tax? £200 so it is about £45 cheaper per year.

So far, I have had the car nearly three weeks, and I have to say, it is a total pleasure to drive. I love it, it ticks all the boxes for what I look for in a car, and that to me is important. No it doesn’t have the speed of the Clio, no it doesn’t have the handling abilities of the Clio, it isn’t far off them though. And why is this car shunned by all other badge owners? I conducted a poll on a Vauxhall and Citroen forum, the choices being between the 197 and the ST - (and the Corsa VXR on the Citroen forum) for their next car. I also did a poll on a Ford Forum, and that was between the 197 and VXR. I cannot understand why people did nothing but criticise the ST. Gutless, Chavvy, Underpowered, Over-rated to name but a few words. The votes turned out to be 46% for the 197, 48% for the VXR and a measley 6% for the ST. I wonder to myself if any of these people have ever owned an ST. One owner of a 197 put “iv came from a st to a clio, and the clio is far better at everything. other than low down power were the st is great. been on trackdays with both and they are similar performance. thats when u spend a little on the st, i had new springs, exhaust system and filter which brought it to life. the interior is better in the st if you dont have the recaros IMO. both cars are good fun but the clio 197 is the one that puts smile on me face.”

SO what now? Well, the 197 stays, I know I would regret it if I sold it. I have learnt that actually having a car as your own is the best way to draw an opinion from one, and not hear-say from people. If i’d known what I knew now about fuel consumption on the 197 vs ST then I may have bought the ST to start off with. Same with the usual niggles in the Clio - rattles and squeaks, gearbox doesn’t like 1st gear when cold, bunny-hopping when cold etc etc. None of these issues in the ST. Do I regret buying the 197 over the ST? In some ways I do, in others I don’t. I’m not a track day person, so the Clio’s superior track abilities are wasted on me. But the Clio’s image is better, there are far fewer on the road, and there’s something else I can’t put my finger on about the Clio too. If I had to give up the Clio, there would be an ST on my drive without a shadow of a doubt.

Never slag something off until you’ve tried it! The ST has a totally unnecessary bad image. It is a fantastic car!

I leave you with one final, frightening fact too. Taking into account price rises etc etc, If i’d bought an ST instead of the Clio, I would have spent £90 less on tax, £60 less on insurance, and £1900 less on fuel. That fuel figure alone is eyewatering.

Standard "Roar" from the car too
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZyRLZxN5Ug[/YOUTUBE]

Seems like a fair and good review there mate - I know the feeling with the fuel consumption even though I suppose my engine is still being 'ran in' I haven't achieved over 27mpg which is worrying but most of my journeys are short and spirited but I would of gone for a Derv if I was more concerned about mpg lol

The STs don't come with Climate though do they? My mate's didn't have it anyway. He had the same colour and stripes as the one you have got atm Mike. He sold it after about a year and got a Civic Type R, shortly after I got the Clio. I think he felt inadequate compared to me, something he never actually managed to get over with the terrible Civic Type R he decided on!

The STs don't come with Climate though do they? My mate's didn't have it anyway. He had the same colour and stripes as the one you have got atm Mike. He sold it after about a year and got a Civic Type R, shortly after I got the Clio. I think he felt inadequate compared to me, something he never actually managed to get over with the terrible Civic Type R he decided on!

The climate control was an extra yar, and the reason I won't part with the 197 I have now is I KNOW i'd regret it! I remember how much I regretted selling my VTS for a Zetec S - I never loved that ZS anywhere near as much as the Saxo, and the day I got rid, I never once regretted it!

Oh he thinks it's great, It's me saying it's pants! Lol! It has broken down 6 times, it's terrible in the corners, the brakes are crap, it's not any quicker that the Clio and looks like something from Mars. He wants an Audi S3 now.

My brother had a fiesta ST and I hated it. The seats are about the best bits. Handling, fir me, is nowhere near a Clio. Ok, I was comparing it to my Trophy at the time, but I had a C2 VTS when he got it, and I'd say that was the par.

Doesn't look as good, is more common, and people in 'the know' will think you don't really know your cars and have opted for something 'sporty' with no research.

If I wanted something with better fuel economy it'd be a cooper s or Abarth esseesse for me

I am not Renault fanboy, far from it. But I cant help but see your main gripes with the 197 is the running costs and gadgets?

You come to expect them types of running costs when you buy a sports car and that is what the 197/200 is, a performance sports car. People bang on about MPG but I don't see the problem, I did a 120 mile trip the other week and got 36mpg doing a mixture of 50/70mph so its nowhere near as bad as people make out.

The ST was not even on my list of cars when I was looking for a sports car, I was looking at Seat Leon Cupra R, Honda Civics, Nisan 350, BWM Z3 etc all in the high performance car range (for the price)

I do agree that the 197/200 do have a few problems but there are many happy customers out there who have had no problems at all as well, just like I'm sure there are many unhappy ST owners that have had problems.

For me I like the rawness of the 197, that's what makes it fun to own.

Saying that though, I don't think my next car will be another Renault, I like the look of the new Focus ST so who knows.

The gadgets situation is going to be looked at in the near future :wink:

I have the 197 now, I made that decision, so I'm gonna stick by it, but this opened my eyes a lot to a car that so many people seem to hate! Yes the 197 is ridiculously expensive to run fuel wise, but hey ho, one of the downsides of owning one!

Each to their own. For the money, the clio 197 is the best hatch 'bar none' out there. Downside its a bit hardcore and can feel basic for some and fuel costs are high (for a small hatch) but for out the box fun and performance, its second to none. You don't get something for nothing in this life unfortunately.
The funny thing about this forum is, there aren't many on here that haven't regretted selling their 197. The grass isn't alway greener.
Good luck with your purchase and once it meets your needs, nothing else matters.

Last edited:
Each to their own. For the money, the clio 197 is the best hatch 'bar none' out there. Downside its a bit hardcore and can feel basic for some and fuel costs are high (for a small hatch) but for out the box fun and performance, its second to none. You don't get something for nothing in this life unfortunately.
The funny thing about this forum is, there aren't many on here that haven't regretted selling their 197. The grass isn't alway greener.
Good luck with your purchase and once it meets your needs, nothing else matters.

The 197 purchase is here to stay! Not going to part with it, I know I will regret it big time :smile:

IMO the 197 doesn't even compare to the fiesta st, it punches above its weight to take on the focus st

The only similarities between the fiesta st & 197 i find is having to work extra hard for peak power, the 197 is just so much better though, i like the fiestas sharp steering but it doesn't give me the same thrill as a 197 when you really get into the spirit of the car

All i can think is the fiesta st i drove had 5 miles on the clock so maybe that's why it just felt completely pants compared to my 197?
I know my 197 wakes up the more i drive it

i owned a st about 3 years ago, smashed it :worried: wont go there, got to say i loved it only thing about it was i couldnt keep up with m8s that had the type r and astra vxr, but as you prob already know you cant compare to these cars, but got my clio about 3 months ago and gotta say i would take the clio over it everytime, i just think its the better car for enjoyment, but like all ma m8s say " its a french car", reply, :whatever:, only thing i would mabye just mabye consider would be the corsa vxr over it, iv still never had a shot of one so dunno.

Tee hee, this is the poll on Saxperience:

Clicky

Gotta feel sorry for the ST - shocking results for it on that!

Lol @ 'Penn' claiming that the 200 is like a totally different car compared to the 197. 172 - 182 argument much? :wink:

Tee hee, there are differences between the two which I didn't know about!

I tell you what else is quite funny. I put this exact same review up on ZSOC, only on there could a thread about how GOOD a Fiesta is turn into a slagging match about how crap it is, power, 0-60 etc etc.

Hilarious! I had to report the posts too, can't believe they are digging their own kind!

i persuaded a lad at work to get one of these a few years back as his first proper hot hatch as you rightly mentioned Mike cheap to run was a major factor over him getting a 197. as an XR3i owner i have a soft spot for fords and i got to admit they are a well screwed together car and very nimble with a chassis that could handle a lot more power than they chuck out as standard. i like them a lot.
i think a better comparison for the 197/200 would be a focus ST that a different kettle of fish, personally i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Having owned/had company cars of every car mentioned in the mix, I have to say there isn't much between them all in terms of running costs insurance and performance, I currently own a 197 which I love! Just sold a 400bhp mk2 green Rs, for me a car is about what you make and put into it! At the end of the day a car is only as good as its driver!!

Good review by the way :smile: