197 Steering Wheel Melt

Any advice for how best to approach this? Go straight to RUK or try a dealer first? Mine is going along the top next to the red stitching, fair bit of cracking has appeared and is getting bigger. Pretty annoye considering I've just taken out extended warranty!

And as if by magic he appears!

Yes, here is my case number which they cannot refute:

Melting steering wheel. Case no 1-184171194. Clio 57 NL57YWD.

Dimos Samsatli @ Renault Customer Services. He know's all about it. They will probably want tyou to go to the dealers first.

Get in there!

Steering wheel melt is a joke - my 197 is now out of warranty and has started doing it - I take total care of my car, clean it regularly - not a mark on it - However do I have any chance of getting this replaced even though the car is out of warranty?

It's clearly a design/product fault - nothing to do with wear and tear.? Opinions?

Steering wheel melt is a joke - my 197 is now out of warranty and has started doing it - I take total care of my car, clean it regularly - not a mark on it - However do I have any chance of getting this replaced even though the car is out of warranty?

It's clearly a design/product fault - nothing to do with wear and tear.? Opinions?

Give Renault Customer Service a call and provide the details above; you never know, they may come good.

Here's mine
picture.php

A company the size of Renault will have whole departments dedicated to material selection. How can they over look the simple function of not disintegrating under the underwhelming temperatures of the English summer!
My wheel has started to melt and its pretty bad now. Has anyone had any luck since they last posted on this thread?

mine's past the warranty period and started to melt as well, it looks as the paint on the leather is moving away from the holes, then there are some holes that are no more holes :smile: and some raw leather is visible in the place that there should be holes :smile: I dont know if you understand but thats the best I can do to describe it, then there's a buildup of the thin paint layer somewhere where my left hand sits, wonder if you could just heat it up and try working it back into position.....

ours has this, its going in for a service and MOT on saturday so Im gonna get it sorted before the warranties out in November

Not just Renault who have this problem.

Do any of you or your partners use any hand creams?

The dealers asked me that , my reply was "do i look like i wear f**king hand cream" he then said " i don,t know " i was tempted to say give us a kiss and i,ll tell you i chose to call him a cock and leave needless to say my out of warrenty steering wheel has not been replaced

i was refused with 2 months warranty left even though the steering wheel had only been put in 12 months before.

i have one for sale £140 with steering wheel trim if your interested. :wink:

My missus' SportKa has got the same kind of problem, so it's not just Renault.