197: Shaking in steering wheel when braking

Antti O

Gold Member
I have this 2007 Clio 197. I replaced Brembo front discs & pads in march. I have done maybe 5000km after that. I simply replaced disks & pads, and my fault was, i did not bed in new discs & pads.
I drove carefully most of the time and brakes were absolutely fine. Now after some hard driving brakes are shaking. Sometime it shakes badly when braking hard, sometimes it only shakes when you brake easily (for example when exiting motorway).

I have to check my front calibers to be sure that all 8 pistons are moving easily.
Yesterday i cleaned all surfaces and applied fresh coppergrease for front pads.
Shaking is still there.

When i turn clock back and remember when shaking first appeared i washed my clio and put it in garage without any driving (there was of course water between discs & pads). Car was there some days parked and that was the point when i realised that shaking first time. If i now look for my discs i can see black pad shape deposits in discs.. What i have read from internet that can bee felt through steering when braking.

I already tried that brake bed in procedure, but it would not help.
There is now new discs and pads coming from Germany, i hope those will help.
Is there any tips how i can be sure that my calibers are fine? So i would not destroy new discs..

Is that good instruction for bedding..?

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...ions-and-procedures/stock-brake-system-bed-in

Thanks

One of my mechanic friend said the deposit which i can see in my discs are problem, the friction is different than other part of the discs and that causes judder.

One of my mechanic friend said the deposit which i can see in my discs are problem, the friction is different than other part of the discs and that causes judder.

Try getting your discs skimmed to get rid of the blackened deposit area on the disc............

Try getting your discs skimmed to get rid of the blackened deposit area on the disc............

I just called for my local machine shop, skimming for 2 disc is approx 70euro, new ate discs+delivery is 100euro.. so i will replace disks.
I am little bit tempted also to replace front calibers with red cup brembos.. :smilingimp:
379£ + delivery from Poland..

Last edited:
I just called for my local machine shop, skimming for 2 disc is approx 70euro, new ate discs+delivery is 100euro.. so i will replace disks.
I am little bit tempted also to replace front calibers with red cup brembos.. :smilingimp:
379£ + delivery from Poland..

A no-brainer then Antti.

Worth a thought !

this is a good read as well ...
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/-warped-brake-disc-and-other-myths

and this ... "If the vibration has just started, the chances are that the temperature has never reached the point where cementite begins to form. In this case, simply fitting a set of good "semi-metallic" pads and using them hard (after bedding) may well remove the deposits and restore the system to normal operation but with upgraded pads." ... is what i did, when i had a slight vibration on my previous discs. probably not a solution for you, since it requires buying expensive (race) pads.

Yep, i can buy another discs. I am waitind discs from Germany, i hope it will help for this..
Race pads are so expensive, and i dont have much use for those.

My calibers are little bit corroded, where pad moves. That surface is not flat. Can that be problem?
Original calibers are aluminium, and water/salt/copper grease maybe do something bad for calibers.
Here is picture which surface i am talking about.

Ceramic paste would better than copper grease if i buy new calibers, i think copper between iron and alloy is not best..

206d064435d6bb2dda38edccbacba38f.image.450x314.jpg\full