197 Road car for now

Arch

Paid Member
Well now that the race Impreza shell has gone I have space to get the 197 into the garage and start giving it a bit of TLC. I have had the car now for a couple of months and it is in very good condition but does need a few bits done to bring it up to a standard I am happy with. So a start this afternoon on this little lot. Massive thanks to Alyn at As Performance for the help and also the guys at KAM Racing.
I bought the car with the intention of turning it into my next race car but I am now undecided due to the weight of the cars, it would be a struggle to get a decent power weight ratio. I have also bought a 106 which again the intention was to turbo it and fit a full Satchell kit and put it on track, it would definitely be the easier route to get the power to weight ratio I need for the Super Lap Scotland class I am looking at but also may be worth just waiting and looking for a full Cup Racer car which is already done.

Attachments

• Parts 1.jpg
    Parts 1.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Parts 2.jpg
    Parts 2.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Parts 3.jpg
    Parts 3.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Parts 4.jpg
    Parts 4.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Parts 5.jpg
    Parts 5.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Parts 6.jpg
    Parts 6.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1061.JPG
    1061.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 1063.JPG
    1063.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Parts 7.jpg
    Parts 7.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 27
Thanks guys these are great little cars but just not ideal race cars for what I have in mind. I managed to get the Impreza down to 1060kg and think the clio would also be somewhere in that bracket fully stripped and caged, difference is the Impreza had 551 WHP while I would not try to get that from the Clio I doubt I could get the BHP per tonne I am after with this car.

SLS, I think my boss was running an Impreza tuned by RA Motorsport in that a couple of years ago.
I have done hills and sprints for years but done sls for a few. I was in class A one below pro. It really is a good championship

You can meg it to get more power:thumb:
If I change the engine it then makes the car unuseable in terms of Scottish hills and sprints the change of block would put the car into sports libre which is a non starter. I don' know if the clio blocks can be linered or if they are pretty much as it is.

Nice to see you've started a thread on here mate. Maybe not the right car for you to be racing in to make it competitive. But be interested to see what you do with it as a fun/track car if you keep it and go down that route with it.

Thanks Tom, must admit I have been surprised by how badly thought out, in terms of maintainability, some of the parts are on these cars. The front suspension especially everything is corroded together probably due to being dry assembled with little care or thought given to dissimilar metal corrosion. So far I have the front hub assemblies off both sides to change the upper and lower ball joints and these are proving resistant to say the least lol.
I went to remove the lower arms tonight and thought how the f**** am I supposed to get that forward bolt a) loosened and b) out :censored: why did they not design it so the bolt withdraws to the rear that way you don't have to disassemble the front end just to remove a swinging arm unbelievable.

Anyway the plan for now is to continue renewing all the items for road use so far the rear discs and pads have been done, rear drivers side caliper and everything else on the rear looks in pretty good condition so nothing else needed there for now.

On the front I will change pretty much everything apart from the dampers. so upper and lower ball joints, drop links, anti rotation links, lower arm ball joints and will change the bushes in the arm to Powerflex black series.

If I decide to take the car a stage further I will fit a set of KW Clubsports but I think I may be looking more towards a Clio Cup racer for track use.

Thanks Tom, must admit I have been surprised by how badly thought out, in terms of maintainability, some of the parts are on these cars. The front suspension especially everything is corroded together probably due to being dry assembled with little care or thought given to dissimilar metal corrosion. So far I have the front hub assemblies off both sides to change the upper and lower ball joints and these are proving resistant to say the least lol.
I went to remove the lower arms tonight and thought how the f**** am I supposed to get that forward bolt a) loosened and b) out :censored: why did they not design it so the bolt withdraws to the rear that way you don't have to disassemble the front end just to remove a swinging arm unbelievable.

Anyway the plan for now is to continue renewing all the items for road use so far the rear discs and pads have been done, rear drivers side caliper and everything else on the rear looks in pretty good condition so nothing else needed there for now.

On the front I will change pretty much everything apart from the dampers. so upper and lower ball joints, drop links, anti rotation links, lower arm ball joints and will change the bushes in the arm to Powerflex black series.

If I decide to take the car a stage further I will fit a set of KW Clubsports but I think I may be looking more towards a Clio Cup racer for track use.

Yeah every time I've done them I've just dropped the subframe down,
Good process to go through replacing all the links and bushes, makes the front end feel so much tighter.