197 or Trophy

Afternoon people.

I guess most you will recognise me from CS.

I am looking at getting a new car as my 172 was written off.

It has come down to two cars really, a 197 R27 or Trophy.

I have been quoted 11.5k on a 197 R27 Nimbus with one owner and 21k on the clocks but has yet to be delivered and going to see it next week.

I had a look in a 200 and it was pretty awesome, loved the yellow rev counter, seats and the seating position was brilliant - hence going back to see this 197.

However a much cheaper option is the Trophy, as I can pick one up now for about 7-7.5k

I have posted this on CS but tbh I know that it won't get too much love so wondering what you guys on here had to say.

PS - Hi too.

Welcome to the site :thumbup:

Am going to say a 197!!! :smiley: Never driven a trophy. But if you can afford a 200 go for that! Just depends on how much money you got really..

Have you driven any of them?

welcome jamie,

i would say 197 as well mate,

but the 200 does look good tbh apart from the front bumper, lol

the choice is your my friend. :thumbup:

just make sure you go for a few test drives first before making your mind up.

Had a trophy for 3yrs when they were new & no faults.
197 is a better car all round & on track the trophy's brakes are shot in no time.
T will give more mpg & may feel quicker but 197 Cup is so much fun especially on the ragged edge:smiley:

I am considering getting a new 200 but would prefer to wait 6-12months for one and lop a few k off them and get one 2nd hand. However, I have no car due to my old one being written off so will need to make a decision quick. As, as soon as may payout is rec'd my courtersey car will be returning.

A 200 is currently 14k and a R27 11.5k and Trophy 7.5k so got a fair few k difference. I do love the interior on the 200, the leather recaros and coloured rev counter.

Had a trophy for 3yrs when they were new & no faults.
197 is a better car all round & on track the trophy's brakes are shot in no time.
T will give more mpg & may feel quicker but 197 Cup is so much fun especially on the ragged edge:smiley:

You answered it yourself then mate :wink:

The only one thing, and it is a minor thing I think, is the fuel consumption. But I would never have bought one if I cared about that!

Thanks for the replies.

I really want a 200 tbh, but not sure if I can condone it as it will have to be new and £14k on a Clio is alot of money.

depends on what you want mate, I think you'd have more fun with a Trophy. I know I get more fun from our 182. Its the feel of the old shape RS that makes them soo great. The 197 is a better all round package though imo.

Well tbh, about browsing PH there is a nice Trophy on there for £6,750, unsold for 2 weeks so prob get that down a few hundrerd... Say £6,400 and a new 200 is £14,000 and R27 £11,250 ish. It's a massive difference for 2/4 years and 20k less on the clocks.

I may get a Trophy, blast it for a year and if I still want a 200/197 then get one then after a few k has dissapeared off them.

Someone on CS went to Stoke Renault and got a GW 200 with Recaros and Speedlines for £14,200 fairly recently too.

I think if you went to any Renault and really pressed you could get a 200 with Cup Chasis, Recaros and Speedlines for circa £14,500-£15,000.

Renault in Chester had a deal on whereby you got 2 years free servicing too. Not sure if you could use that in conjunction with other things and was only posted on the Renault Sport website but a nice little incentive.

Owned a Trophy privious to my now Clio 197. Had massive amounts of fun driving the trophy, took it to the Nurburgring twice in a year, it handled like no other hot hatch. Phenominal! The Saches suspension Renault opted for on the Trophy is out of this world! Anyone who had driven or owned a trophy will i know agree hands down! You juat have to look in Evo Magazine, they said i quote ' The Best Front Wheel Drive Handling Hot Hatch Ever!' it has won many comps and awards.

Although....

I have to agree with many of the other replies, the 197 is a far better all round car and package which was what i wasn now after, hence buying a 197! A far safer car (total of 6 airbags i think as oppose to the 182's driver and passenger airbags), roomier (especially in the back!) and has more toys as standard availlable, eg zenons, climate control and the keyless entry to name a few.

Also the trophy in my opinion was better to the gallon, but saying that the MPG is not worlds apart and IMO the 197 wins hands down for comfort, safely and gadgets.

Do miss my Trophy though..... ;-)

Owned a Trophy privious to my now Clio 197. Had massive amounts of fun driving the trophy, took it to the Nurburgring twice in a year, it handled like no other hot hatch. Phenominal! The Saches suspension Renault opted for on the Trophy is out of this world! Anyone who had driven or owned a trophy will i know agree hands down! You juat have to look in Evo Magazine, they said i quote ' The Best Front Wheel Drive Handling Hot Hatch Ever!' it has won many comps and awards.

Although....

I have to agree with many of the other replies, the 197 is a far better all round car and package which was what i wasn now after, hence buying a 197! A far safer car (total of 6 airbags i think as oppose to the 182's driver and passenger airbags), roomier (especially in the back!) and has more toys as standard availlable, eg zenons, climate control and the keyless entry to name a few.

Also the trophy in my opinion was better to the gallon, but saying that the MPG is not worlds apart and IMO the 197 wins hands down for comfort, safely and gadgets.

Do miss my Trophy though..... ;-)

I had a Trophy before my 197cup.....I would agree 197 is better all rounder but the Trophy is outstanding. If you have the oportunity to get one I would do.....I miss the Trophy and have thought about going back to one!