197 in the snow/Ice ?

It is awesome(ly dangerous) driving the 197 in the snow. I have done REAL snow, as in SERIOUS amounts of it in the 197 - the main road to Inverness:

37.jpg

More snow themed pictures here

:smile::smile::smile:

mike - where were you heading towards? I flew to Inverness and drove to Invergordon not so long ago! where were you going? looks crazy!

We were staying 25 miles out of Inverness, that was the road up there B862!

Love that place loads :smile:

I had huge issues in Sheffield as we had a lot of snow early this year.
As you may know though Sheffield is build on 7 hills so that does not bode well to start with.
I couldn't even get up the drive to my flat for over three weeks and in the slightest bit of snow i got stuck.
Now, i am well versed in off-road driving so i do know what i'm doing before that comes up!
I.M.O the problem is with the way the power is delivered, in big chunks basically.
Of course tyre's also play a huge part in this, Goodyear Eagle F1's are a no no.
Get some snow tyre's on some skinny steel rims and you'll be fine; you'll also look a rally driver!
Or buy an early 90's Land Cruiser for around £2k and SORN it in the summer months.

Hmm, snow and 197's... after getting completely stranded in the middle of my road (which, being a cul-de-sac, doesn't get gritted) last winter and having to spend an hour and a half clearing the snow with a shovel, I'm planning on getting shot of it before this one. I found it fine on the flat, but my house is on a slight hill and the Clio just won't go up snowy ones at all. I reckon I used up half my clutch's life that day!

The 197 is a nightmare in the snow. I even went as far as leaving it at home during the 2-3 weeks of snow we had earlier this year, I walked everywhere !

+1 on that. Mine was virtually undriveable when I got caught out in a downfall of snow.

So much so that I ended up buying an old Fiesta to get about in so the Clio has ended up being a much pampered weekend car now :thumbup:

Dotty - I see you have the same tyre's as me (Goodyear Eagle F1), no wonder you ended up in the hedge! Hope the Car was / is ok; was there much damage?

It is awesome(ly dangerous) driving the 197 in the snow. I have done REAL snow, as in SERIOUS amounts of it in the 197 - the main road to Inverness:

37.jpg

More snow themed pictures here

:smile::smile::smile:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mega :smiley: i had some right fun in my 172 last year :smiley: Hoping w have the same again as i have a spare set of speedlines i'm going to dress with these

Al4.GIF

Maxsport alaska 4's :smiley:

Also should have the quad up + running in time for winter :tongueout:

Apart from that..... i'd love to throw a set of mattracks on the clio :smiley:

sweet what are the tyres like on normal road conditions? be tempted to get some even if they are only in use for 3 weeks of the year :worried: how would i store them so to speak or just rake the arse of it and wear them out?? what do they grip like in the ice?

i found the 197 fine going up snowy hills, traction control on, foot to the floor the car settled at around 3,000 rpm and away i went.

However I did park at the top of a small hill, the next morning when i got in the car i did a bobslay run down the hill. Scarey as the engine was off, handbrake on and also the steering lock on. Was one of my lucky days though. (Must have just been the extra weight.) :bumpit:

I had TC switched off and just used the clutch. Not using the throttle pedal is the key. That and sometimes you want a bit of slip/more control over the power.

Ended up getting most peoples' cars out of our car park at home as everyone else was simply too rubbish to do it.:smiley:

Last year i was in my R32 snow drifting everywhere winter tyres are essential even with 4wd, try keeping the wheels from spinning with 540 NM of torque!

Just a piece of advice last year in the snow pre xmas time the whole of the UK sold out of winter tyres so if you want some for this year order em now to be safe,

Snow is a lot of fun though, when you haven't got to drive in it. You should try driving a big brown UPS truck in the ice lol! Now that IS fun! RWD too

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D New Members 0
R Clio 197 Area 13
B Gallery 15
Clio*Nick Wheels and Tyres 36
colecutter Gallery 70