197: Flexis ...

Antti O

Gold Member
What do you think, is this rattle in high revs blowing flexis?
Also when i accelerate 1 or 2 gear over 6000 rpm and press clutch then i can hear that rattling.

What do you think, is this rattle in high revs blowing flexis?
Also when i accelerate 1 or 2 gear over 6000 rpm and press clutch then i can hear that rattling.

If I remember rightly this isn't the manifold, but either the aircon pipes rattling, or the butterfly valve in the secondary inlet rattling. From your video it doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

Reactions: Pav
I went through some trouble with my exhaust blowing and tin like rattle you will need it fully warmed up and on the ramp to be sure. Bits to look for are the diffuser the back box touching the heat shield or the plastic exit holes. Then the centre silencer box I have only fixed this 2 weeks ago and again last week, where the pipe enters and exits the middle box a very fine hair line crack can form and only when hot will it appear and the rattle happen I found the pipe entering needed welded to find the next day that the exit pipe was the same and also needed welded. You can see from this picture where to look (this is not mine by the way). also check for engine movement and the heat shield touching the exhaust.
upload_2018-5-10_19-10-41.png
upload_2018-5-10_19-15-9.png

We diagnosed this yesterday with my mechanic friend.
Unfortunately car lift was reserved at the time we were in garage.
We will check it again later when he have time.
It is definetly some kind of heat shield / exhaust rattling. It rattles even when you have car in neutral and rev it. It seems to be coming somewhere under centre console area under the car.
My friend told me that he suspects flexis are partly gone, not blowing yet but rattling.

@turkie172 Thanks for your tips, we will check exhaust carefully if we can see fault there.

Sounds like the middle box the flexi pipes don't rattle when they go, the heat shield on the starter motor can rattle touching the manifold. The 172 Clio would rattle around 3,500 - 4,500 like a tin tray the inside of the CAT had gone it was replaced 2 times under warranty then I put a sports CAT on that lasted over 140,000 miles and was cheaper than the genuine CAT. When you changed the sump the picture shows the flexi joint gearbox side is very bad and no mesh on the other side.
upload_2018-5-11_17-6-7.png

Yep, i agree flexis are not 5/5.
I removed that mesh because it was almost ripped apart.
Interesting, flexis are not blowing even are in that state. I dont know is that rattle sound from flexis or not.
Is that Bosal suitable, there is part number somewhere..

Flexi replacement part list..?

- Bosal 265-567 flexis (2)
- Exhaust manifold gasket
- Exhaust manifold / centre pipe connecting clamp (genuine renault)
- We will check engine mounts, replacement if necessary..

I have powerflex torque mount polyurethane bush new in package.
It would be good idea to change?
I am little worried about powerflex vibrations, car is daily driver in summer..

Last edited:
Flexi replacement part list..?

- Bosal 265-567 flexis (2)
- Exhaust manifold gasket
- Exhaust manifold / centre pipe connecting clamp (genuine renault)
- We will check engine mounts, replacement if necessary..

I have powerflex torque mount polyurethane bush new in package.
It would be good idea to change?
I am little worried about powerflex vibrations, car is daily driver in summer..
I am using Powerflex bushes. The vibration was bad at first but settles down after 1000-1500km. It's still there at tick over, though really not bad & during driving it's fine.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I am using Powerflex bushes. The vibration was bad at first but settles down after 1000-1500km. It's still there at tick over, though really not bad & during driving it's fine.

Absolutely.

The whole reason the flexis often fail; is because of the movement put upon them / the engine by the soft original mounts.

Fixing the issue (Blowing flexis) and then solving the root cause (soft mounts / bushes) so it doesn’t happen again is logical and sensible....

As Johhny99 says: 500 miles to bed in and the vibration isn’t too bad at all from the Powerflex.

Remember when the flexi's are welded in that the manifold is held in position if it moves during this it will not fit properly after. The old flexi was cut inside the ring ends to keep the manifold the same length or it will touch the sub frame after the repair the first picture is my now old manifold repaired fixed here in Northern Ireland "Power Flow Exhausts Antrim" I already had a very good condition manifold as a spare as it was going to happen some day and with the Renault Sport Clio's you cant choose when and that's when you have to pay a lot more.
upload_2018-5-21_13-7-8.png
upload_2018-5-21_12-43-33.png
upload_2018-5-21_12-44-45.png
upload_2018-5-21_12-45-11.png
upload_2018-5-21_12-45-40.png

@turkie172
Thank you very much for your information. I copy/pasted your instructions for my mechanic who will do welding. What i found out from pictures, lambda readings are incorrect if flexis are blowing.. Good reason to check / replace flexis for correct fuelling.