172/182 - what are they like?

aaron-rs197

Paid Member
so im suffering with renaultsport withdrawal symptoms. really really want a little renaultsport hot hatch sat outside my house again so i can disappear off round the country lanes on a nice sunny sunday morning.

it would be nice to have another 197 but a) im only looking to spend a couple thou and b) i want to try something different so im now considering a mk2 rs clio.

what i really liked about the 197 was the high revving NA engine and the spot-on handling that set it apart from other hot-hatches. i liked how i wanted to drive it all the time even if i had nowhere to go.

now i could just type 172/182 reviews into google but i dont want to do that. i want to ask ppl that have personal experience with the car on a daily basis. im hoping you will say the 172/182 is a pleasant little car with no (or not many) major issues to worry about (like crunching 3rd gears or manifold flexis or melting steering wheels etc).

I just want a fun, cheap hot hatch to have a blast around on the weekends in but it must have that sublime handling that my 197 had. it must also be inspiring to drive like my 197 was. otherwise im not interested. is the 172/182 better in that respect? i've heard the cabin build quality is not as good as the mk3 but thats not a big issue for me. is it better to get a cup or full fat? did the 172 have a cup version? any particular year to avoid? any buyer's guide you can point me to would be great. thank you for reading.

Last edited:
I've no experience with a 182, only a 172 Cup which I had for several days as a friend was sellig it. I loved it. To me it had a bit more grunt down low, handling was every bit as good and it was just a general hoot to drive. Im sorry now that I didn't have the spare cash to buy it at the time as it was the most fun car I had driven. To a lot of people it is probably too basic inside, literally zero creature comforts but it was fantastic.
The car has exceptional history, two timing belt changes, regularly serviced etc which is a must. Further down the line I would like to own either a 172 Cup or a 182 Trophy.

My missus has just sold her 182 and it was brilliant never let her down in two years handles great good on fuel quick enough standard comfy inside as they have normal seats as the trophy is the only one that had recaros and I have a 172 cup as a track day car it's all stripped out so can't comment on the inside but again it's a great drive it's got uprated suspension antiroll bar and struts and handle like it's on rails both great cars tbh

You could get trend lines on a 182 (was introduced as an option) :oops:

Brilliant

ive had three, x2 172 cups and a cupped 182.

They do feel more urgent than any mk3. However they all rattle quite badly. Get over that and you'll have a blast.

getting more and more tempted now! going to keep a close eye on the for sale section of cs.net leading up til summer.. might even have a go at making some mods which i dont normally do.. quite like the idea of reducing weight and bolting on a few bit to sharpen the chassis up. maybe add some more power at a later date. ktec do a throttle body kit for a couple grand. just been looking at youtube vids of itb'd 182s!!!! they sound awesome. reminds me of my mates old 1.4 205 xs with twin webbers. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

headjungle-o.gif

i had a 172 and absolutely adored it i wouldn't have it over my 200 as for me the 200 is everthing i need and i could not part with it now its a part of me haha however my 172 was quick and handled like a go kart only thing i did to mine was lowered and fitted the cup spoiler which was the best thing i bought for the car mine friend has a 182 which i have diven as well between this and my 200 there is not to much in it speed wise the 200 does pull in front from 3rd upwards but they are epic and i would not say no to a 172 cup to use as a weekend car hope this helped heres some pictures of my old one if you do go for a 172 get a 2003 as that year it had esp and cruise where as march 02 cars dont have either and june 02 cars only have esp 802C5995-AAF1-48FA-82EC-D54F9ECDF16C_zpsiehmqig3.jpgD23D7A81-B415-40E4-91CE-90544726E281_zps8zoypehd.jpg

p.s a few things on the mk2's cambelt is every 5 years 60,000 iirc and the aux belt is every 3 years 36,000 miles as said the steering wheels do melt and loose there grips but the is a guy on cs net that does replacment grips or there is a guy called snappy on there who does a full refurb on your wheel for about £180 i think with a old wheel in exchange it works out about £120 cliamte control on these can stay on hot even when cold but that is easy to fix via the guides on there forum apart from those bits there arent really any big issues i can think of common mod's are fitting a cup spoiler like my picture above lowering spings and turini alloys like the ones on the trophy or 172 cup

Cracking wee cars. I had an Inferno orange 182 before my 200 and absolutely loved it. They just feel a bit dated for me and are now affordable for the local maccy,ds crowd which kinda put me off. Saying that id still love to own a Trophy one day.

My 172 cup was no-where near as good at handling as my 200 is. I'm sure it would have been if I spent a few thousand on new suspension and bushes etc.