12,000 mile ownership review + what it's cost

I've just clicked over 12,000 miles since I first sat in my 200 back in December, so thought I'd post a little write up of its life in my hands to date.

I came to the 200 following 8 years of 172 Cup ownership, from new back in 2003. Prior to the Cup I'd never been into any kind of 'performance' car (previous steeds include a TD Pug 306, Fiesta 1.1L, Triumph Toledo), but from owning the 172 Cup, the Renaultsport itch very soon got well and truly under my skin.

After 130k miles and a mountain of trackdays, it was tired, worn out, and overdue a replacement. With that itch ever present and after a brief foray into Suzuki Ignis Sport ownership, the ONLY car that could replace the 172 Cup was the current model RS Clio, so I hunted for and found my ideal car.

Not to everyone's taste, without Cup suspension, Recaros, or any mod at all (with the exception of rear parking sensors) my Deep Black 200 had been owned by an elderly couple, covering 18k in 2.5 years from new.

With six months warranty remaining (which later I would be very grateful for) and an agreed cost to change, I set off and did the deal with the trader 170 miles from home late on a Friday night.

The next morning I headed off in the 200 nice and early to a pre booked day at my local circuit, Goodwood. Knowing the lines well from countless laps in my 172 Cup, I could focus on just driving and learning the car. A great day was had, with a few notable scalps and a mistaken identity black flag ruining a complete session.

2011-12-03144305.jpg

[YOUTUBE]4da_GyQBmzs[/YOUTUBE]

Then it was nothing more exciting than settling into the daily grind with it. The non-Cup suspension proved to be the right choice with my commute being 52 miles all in, mostly on poorly surfaced B roads. It has RS Clio DNA running right through it, but still manages to deal with the awful road surface. Lots of interesting swoops, turns, gradients, and cambers over and over every single day helped me get a feel for how it responds.

The next trackday booked was arranged on Cliosport.net and was a private day at Llandow. With only 30 cars, 10 max at a time, and a short 1 mile circuit (think Brands Indy with an extra kink in it somewhere) it looked to be the 200's natural stomping ground. Apart from two insanely driven 172/182s and the burpspeed.com race car, it held it's own against all others. It had plenty more to give, but there was zero run off, monsoon downpours, and I had no insurance, so I kept it safe.

Apart from running over the kerbs all day long that is. BIG mistake.

If you like riding kerbs in your 200 I'd advise you to stop doing it. Now.

Why?

£900. Replacement of both front lower ball joints. They're integral to the stub axle assembly, and it's £200 plus VAT per side and 4.5 hours labour to fit.

Discovered at my MOT, one day before the warranty expired, I managed to get 40% contribution from Renault but was still left £500 light. No more kerbs for me.

DSC8370.jpg

DSC8617.jpg

[YOUTUBE]AbNu1kRiwHg[/YOUTUBE]

That's it to date. It's been a great 12,00 miles.

What have I learned?

It's not the quickest car in a straight line, and to make real progress you do have to show commitment. Its extra weight over my 172 cup I can honestly say doesn't blunt the drive for me at all. It's noticeable, but the whole car is just setup to deal with it, and it does deal with it, very well.

It has so much grip, you have to drive at insane speeds to get it moving about like my Cup did which I think is why so many mkII owners dismiss the 197/200s as no fun. They are missing out.

From day one using an Android app I have logged road tax, insurance, depreciation,and every single penny spent as a result of me owning this car.

I've suffered 3 tyres destroyed by a nail in the shoulder, so with the recent MOT expense thrown in, the overall costs are eye watering.

Slide1-3.jpg

Slide5-1.jpg

Next up is a day at Bedford on the GT circuit, so when being forced to decide on new tyres recently I thought I and the 200 deserved a treat.

100_9880.jpg

Only 26 more sleeps to go.

Last edited:
Nice write up, very brave to tot up your total costs. I decided to ignore this once I realised I would cover nearly 30k in one year.. Lol

I recently purchased a used Clio RS200 and settled on a full fat one with Cup chassis. However, along the way I went for a decent test drive in a Deep Black RS200 which was a completely standard car. I was very impressed with the overall drive and would have happily lived with the (slightly) softer feel of the standard set up.

As a previous owner of a Clio RS182 and an RS197 I can vouch for the fact that the newer car is more 'civilised' even with the Cup chassis but on a long commute (74 miles round trip) that is most welcome.....

Enjoy the car!

Nice write up, I enjoyed that. :smile:

It's scary when you see the costs in black and white... Which is why I've never bothered to do it!!! :smiley:

V interesting thanks.

How are the AD08s on the road compared to the contis? There's an 8 page thread in the tyres sections that doesn't really give any concrete idea of that.

V interesting thanks.

How are the AD08s on the road compared to the contis? There's an 8 page thread in the tyres sections that doesn't really give any concrete idea of that.

Very little road time yet, they were only fitted on Saturday morning.

The steel reinforcement of the sidewalls is very noticeable...I had a play with the loose tyres before they were fitted and the sidewalls themselves have no give in them whatsoever.

The most I've done is circle a local, wide, well surfaced roundabout a handful of times. With kerbs and lamp posts so close, I ran out of bottle way before I ran out of front end grip.

Bedford is on 18th August so a few weeks scrubbing them in on the road and then a proper track session to test them out.

I'm only expecting/planning on 5k miles in total from them so anything more than that is a bonus.

Nice write up, I enjoyed that. :smile:

It's scary when you see the costs in black and white... Which is why I've never bothered to do it!!! :smiley:

Scary indeed! Doesn't make for comfortable reading but it's the reality that most of us face...cars are not cheap, especially not performance cars!

Thanks Mark. If you could update re road use that would be great as I would treat the car to a set if they're a significant improvement (turn in, grip) and don't need to use the car in poor conditions so that's not a concern. May do some track work but not much.

Great write-up! On the one hand i'd like to know how much my car has cost me in the 13months of ownership so far, and on the other I don't wish to know lol.

The main thing is though, we all enjoy them!

This is an excellent post, thanks very much, really enjoyed reading it. I got to say the track photos are exceptional. Either someone is adept at using editing software, or (hopefully if luck was not involved) they are highly skilled with their shutter selection, either way a fantastic read.

Great write up allthough i skipped past the costs part.

I've done just shy of 7.000 miles in mine and have not reset the average mpg thing so when i scroll through i see about 240 gallons of fuel used i try not to think about it.

:poke:

Thanks all, will be keeping this going for as long as I keep my 200, which will be at least another 2-3 years so we should get a real definitive cost of ownership.

What App?

On the Android market, it's called Fuel Log. Very simple to use, can run profiles for several different vehicles.