1.2tce BOV

I know........i know 'its chavy' but i want one!

Anyone on here got a 1.2tce and fitted ktr's dump valve ? whats your opinion ? Have you had any problems with engine lights coming on and sound wise is it worth it, i probly shouldnt even mention performance because i doubt there be a difference ijust want to know your opinions as from what ive seen so far there seems to be quite a few clued up people on here.
cheers james

I wouldn't recommend on on a modern car with standard CATs as when they release pressure to the atmosphere they tend to make the car overfuel, that fuel gets thrown into your CAT and can damage it.

I tried a variety of different dump valves on my old 200sx and finished up using an uprated recirculating one (HKS), which provided the best performance by far.

Seems a bit pointless on a 1.2 though :smile:

Rich

it wasnt so much performance wise it was more just for the sound tbh, if im not happy with the dump valve what are ktr like on returns ? i noticed quite alot of you guys use them!

*ahem*.... sad to say..

I had one on my old 1.2 TCE for a few days there where no issues with it bringing on the management lights or anything. the forge one is a recirc so it causes no issues as its recirculates some air as well as dumping some where as the k-tec one requires a blanking plate to be put on over part of the recirc intake. beware they are fecking fiddly to put on and not really worth it.

nice to see i got the response i thought i would (excluding the first) jumped up users not interested in a genuine response just p*** taking instead, nice and helpfull!

I'm not sure why you would expect anything else, you admit it's chavvy in your own post.

Each to his own anyway, you won't see any benefit and you're more likely to see a decrease in performance and certainly no gain.

You're introducing an element into the car which could fail/leak or sap power or pressure from the turbo.

You'd be best driving with your window down occasionaly going "TSSSHHHHH!"

Just enjoy the car as it is :tongueout:

EDIT/ christ just looked at how much it costs, there must be better things to spend the money on.

Last edited:
Twig- A point well made.........but on a forum thats based around sharing knowledge and a love for cars why should someone like me that asks a simple question get slated because of other peoples arogance and my interest in experimenting and learning more about the car that i drive so that one day i might be as mechanicaly minded as some of the 'genius' people on here that can construct a sentence in order to take the p*** out of someone that simply asked a question!

Wow, where's your festive cheer?

Also, when you do achieve 'genius' status, allowing you to construct a sentence in order to take the p***, please do remember to be kind with the commas and full stops. They make for a much more entertaining read.

On and lighter, and more helpful note - you may want a recirculating, modern day ECUs generally require them and whilst it may run ok within the limits of not tripping an error code/light, it won't be running 100% and you may lose power for the sake of a "chav" (sic) noise at all that expense.

On and lighter, and more helpful note - you may want a recirculating, modern day ECUs generally require them and whilst it may run ok within the limits of not tripping an error code/light, it won't be running 100% and you may lose power -helpful, thankyou

...and on another lighter note, you might want to just remove the existing one completely and blank off the pipe. Instead of a chavvy 'Tsshhhhhhh' when you back off you'll get a cool rally 'brrrrrrrrr' (pigeon noise) when you back off AND between gears.

The noise is created by the turbo fins getting hammered by high pressure trying to force their way backwards through the turbo.

Sounds cool IMO and costs about £5!

Rich

Another thought on this: What is the OEM DV (diverter valve) like? Is it vacuum or electronic and is it a piston or bladder?

Electronic react in milliseconds, so are far better than vacuum, so you don't want a backwards step in technology.

Piston is better than bladder, bladders split and leak boost.

What PSI of boost can the DV take? You don't want it leaking boost because it isn't strong enough to remain closed under load. Are you intending to remap the car at some point, what's the prospect of uprating the DV to cope?

I've run a fair few turbo cars in the past, you don't just stick on the first thing you see that's nice. You have to understand the effect it is going to have. I'd trust Forge more than anyone else.

its Vacuum and Bladder and yes they leak like ****! If you get the forge dv you get a blanking plate with it so if you decide you do not want a DV you put the cover on it and it turns in to a very expensive vacuum piston diverter valve..

Ha, welcome to age year old technology. That's pretty crap.

Well, there's reasonable grounds for replacing the DV as preventative medicine and I'm sure Forge do various springs to accommodate boost upgrades in the future. Still eye-watering money though.

cheers for the advise guys, I installed the ktech one last night and it works like a beaut, no more turbo lag (no leaks) and it comes with nice tshhhh, as you can probs see from above not everybodys cup of tea......but i like it 8)

I wouldn't worry about the haters too much, I learnt nearly everything I know when I was young but trying things out for myself. As you get older, you learn from your mistakes and assume everyone wants to be TOLD the best route, rather than just having a go.

Have fun!

Rich

Quite possibly the best bit of advise! Everyone starts somewhere and i definately cant afford a sport. My 1.2tce is what ive got to work with.

cheers

cloud

Similar Thread Suggestions