06 nimbus 197 daily track toy

Sooo I have been waiting for a inlet manifold for a few days and was hoping when it came as it said it would be matched well it would be matched however that is not the case one side has been messed with and the other not so I will be porteing with the help of one of the techs from work so this is also on hold for a little while... I've got lots going on now getting the wheels sorted porting the inlet manifold and fitting an exhaust manifold. It's going to be a busy winter.

For now I am waiting on gaskets before I can start the inlet.

20171002_112104.jpg 20171002_112052.jpg

Reactions: trackspec197
Good..how much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking..?

Sorry to hear about the manifold, couldn’t you send it back to do it properly?

I paid just under £100 for it delivered so it was a good buy anyway for a stock manifold and in the description it said it was a matched pair because the auction was ending soon i didn't have time to ask questions about what this meant later on it was a matching pair for the car.. however the lower one had been worked on but the seller didn't know about it.. ill just get it ported then sell my one. it will be a good experience for me.

I paid just under £100 for it delivered so it was a good buy anyway for a stock manifold and in the description it said it was a matched pair because the auction was ending soon i didn't have time to ask questions about what this meant later on it was a matching pair for the car.. however the lower one had been worked on but the seller didn't know about it.. ill just get it ported then sell my one. it will be a good experience for me.

Interested in what you're doing porting wise?
Just having the two joints between the manifold and plenum matched for size? Matching the manifold to the head too?
If so are you keeping that area slightly rough rather than going down the polished method that a lot of people go down? i'd learnt that sized correctly but left rough gave better fuel mixing and atomisation on entry to the chamber and it was better to have the exhaust side sized, ported and polished?

Interested to know your thoughts on this one.

Interested in what you're doing porting wise?
Just having the two joints between the manifold and plenum matched for size? Matching the manifold to the head too?
If so are you keeping that area slightly rough rather than going down the polished method that a lot of people go down? i'd learnt that sized correctly but left rough gave better fuel mixing and atomisation on entry to the chamber and it was better to have the exhaust side sized, ported and polished?

Interested to know your thoughts on this one.
Not going to mad I will be gasket matching the inlet and leaving it rough.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

There's no need to increase the inlet to head size it's adequate and would need the head ported too if increasing its size. There is however a lot of material to be taken out to match the top and bottom half. We took the inket out to the gasket line on mine and it made a big difference. The car pulled much harder across the range.

Polished finish should be kept to the exhaust ports. You want a rough finish on the inlet side.

There's no need to increase the inlet to head size it's adequate and would need the head ported too if increasing its size. There is however a lot of material to be taken out to match the top and bottom half. We took the inket out to the gasket line on mine and it made a big difference. The car pulled much harder across the range.

Polished finish should be kept to the exhaust ports. You want a rough finish on the inlet side.
This is interesting, as I've continually read that there is little gain to be had by increasing the capacity of inlet airflow with this engine. Might have to take a look at this. Any pics of before and after?

This is interesting, as I've continually read that there is little gain to be had by increasing the capacity of inlet airflow with this engine. Might have to take a look at this. Any pics of before and after?
there will be and TBF if we do a good enough job of it i might just do my standard inlet and sell it on..

Cheap for some practice/experience then I guess!

Reactions: Cliosport-carl
Unfortunately I don't have a back to back print out. Mine made 207bhp on a rollers not too long ago which I believe couldn't be far out as the other 4 cars there on the same evening were all exactly on the money. All I can say is from my experience of doing this I could see a noticeable difference when driving it between standard and modified. The car felt more urgent, less restrained and pulled much stronger. The standard castings are awful and making some modification to the inlet will certainly help increase linear flow whilst ensuring the lower half venturie shape isn't effected. Its more important for the two parts to match and to be shaped correctly than the actual port size so it's best to not get too carried away. I would highly recommend this modification.

If anyone is interested in having it done professionally I can offer the service at a very competitive price.

Right my gaskets have just turned up exciting times.. but the important thing is the inlet the lowers are good and are ported.. saves me down work.. 20171005_133805.jpg 20171005_133822.jpg

Tops well need some work..

20171005_133739.jpg

Reactions: simoxmino
That's quite a difference!!! Definitely a job worth doing. Have added it to the list.

Let us know how you get on, and best method you've found.

Reactions: tombate911
why are you doing all this Carl??

looks good ..im interested in how much diff it makes in terms of the car's drive ability..

Bloody knew I recognised this car at Trax, been bugging me for days!! Did you take it on track at all Carl?

IMG_0421.jpg