£700 to blow, a few options?

Yeh kev's does require cable throttle .....

Have u got the wheels photoshopped on yours ?

Nah mate, main reason for the wheels really is so i can fit the big brake conversion coming up soon.

But surely an inch bigger equals heavier wheels?

Nah mate, main reason for the wheels really is so i can fit the big brake conversion coming up soon.

But surely an inch bigger equals heavier wheels?

Yup and greater rotational mass too. Not really the way to go if you want performance, you would be better off with some lightweight 17s

http://www.wheelweights.net/

Big Brake conversion sounds interesting which company are you looking at?

Ktec are doing the big ones in August time, i see them at the Autosport show and they are amazing. like a dustbin lid size.

You can already get AP Racing 6 pot and AP racing four pot upgrade for the 197 :wink:

Both fit under the 17" wheel.

I'd get braided lines, DS2500, Motul RBF 600 fluid and keep the rest for the next mod.

I have that set-up with the AP Racing bells and rotors. The change over standard is totally unbelievable.

If you get the ECU you have more scope for mapping cams head work etc.

That would be my 'step 2 & 3' ECU then engine work like foxspeed suggested. I've been looking at engine builders up here and I'll hopefully be enquiring soon about uprating/lightening parts.

I may verywell hold out on my brakes till august time then ... Will they be like the yozzasport bbkit

not sure about that ktec ecu. no one makes a dbw aftermarket ecu that is suitable for road use yet. dont think i would want to risk it.

my list would be proper roll cage and fixed back buckets. dont see the point in trying to get more power through the engine, it cant have much life in it already with that much nos, as they arent great at handling 260bhp let alone anymore.

brakes not sure i would be bothered with anything more than 2 pc discs. if a 250bhp rally r3 doesnt need 6 pots then we dont lol

not sure about that ktec ecu. no one makes a dbw aftermarket ecu that is suitable for road use yet. dont think i would want to risk it.

my list would be proper roll cage and fixed back buckets. dont see the point in trying to get more power through the engine, it cant have much life in it already with that much nos, as they arent great at handling 260bhp let alone anymore.

brakes not sure i would be bothered with anything more than 2 pc discs. if a 250bhp rally r3 doesnt need 6 pots then we dont lol

Already got a roll over bar and the OEM Recaros do me nicely ( paid £800 on options list for em lol, aint going nowhere ).

As for nitrous: The reason the 197 cant handle alot more power is becuase its only been proven on boosted applications. Boost equals more pressure in the cylinder which raises the temps immensly, which in turn provokes detonation. And with detonation comes a dead engine in no time.

Nitrous contains 70% nitrogen which actually dampens the combustion process and prevents detonation.

In short what this means is, theoretically when im using nitrous i have less chance of detonation than you do running normal power in normal conditions.

There does of course become a point where excessive nitrous cancels out this rule as the pressures are just to great for the given space within the cylinder, usually about 100bhp + shots for a typical 2 litre 4 cylinder.

Last edited:
Lol foxspeed i've got £700 not 7k.

With all that you've described i would probaly sell the clio and buy an R26R with the dosh.

its only what i would want to do...you dont have to but a ported/flowed head could be a good investment :thumbup1:

Indeed, however i dont really want to make the cylinder ports any bigger. My powerband is too short as it is :worried:

I am however always on the look out to try mods first, will defo look into this with a local head worker.

Indeed, however i dont really want to make the cylinder ports any bigger. My powerband is too short as it is :worried:

I am however always on the look out to try mods first, will defo look into this with a local head worker.

it isnt a case of bigger ports - its air management round the valves and throat and combustion chamber shape/size etc

i cant see the standard cylinder head not being improved upon

Dunno 197 from 172 bhp on essentially the same design, alot of cylinder head improvements in there i think?

Plus it requires the head off, cam belt etc? I've only just had it all stripped and put back together 6 months ago for the cams.

Never intended to go for 6 pots anway, besides my two piece discs, braided lines and new pads im leaving them alone.

Dunno 197 from 172 bhp on essentially the same design, alot of cylinder head improvements in there i think?

Plus it requires the head off, cam belt etc? I've only just had it all stripped and put back together 6 months ago for the cams.

oops forgot you have had that done - shame really would have been cost effective to have it done in one go

You have every thing that is in the market (almost) in your car! Is going to be difficult to improve it.

The only thing I can think of is or ITB's or turbo, and those 2 things are way more than 700 pounds.

Are you happy with the performance of the car? If so, maybe a retrim of the Recaros in leather would be nice, but I don't really know if you fancy that.

Im more for performance only lol.

Im thinking about just blowing it all on the nitrous system to upgrade the controller to a more advanced system.

Either that or plastic windows :tongueout:

I don't really like nitrous so my opinion is completely biased, but it could be a good idea, especially if you get more reliability.

Plastic widows sounds good, didn't think about it.